Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Run-Play-Run

So the last time I exercised was Sunday, June 28, 2009.

I know the exact date because I ran 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) after riding my bike 40 kilometers (24.8 miles) after swimming 1.5 kilometers (.9 miles) in the Hy-Vee Triathlon.

Two days later, I took a pregnancy test and we all know how that turned out!

While I walked and swam throughout my pregnancy (and did snowshoe a couple times but then it got too hard to put the dang things on b/c I couldn't bend over) I always kept my heart rate below 140.  Therefore, I didn't feel like I was "working out".  After Charlie was born, I felt so tired and malnourished, and weak to even think about exercising until I knew I was finished nursing.

Now, 4 months after weaning Charlie, I felt it was time to get back in the groove.

Last Monday, we threw Charlie in our awesome Cadillac of a jogging stroller , and headed out to run. We seriously had barely made it to the top of our hill (maybe a block) when I had to stop talking and concentrate on breathing.  By the time we made it to our destination (1/2 mile) I thought my lungs were going to burst out of my body.  I couldn't breath, I had phlegm and snot choking up my throat, tears stung my eyes, and I couldn't talk.  (Although I have to admit my feet felt great in my new Brooks !!)

We walked home (after letting Charlie swing for a good 5-10 minutes) and it was hard for me to believe I had ever done that in a casual fashion.  However, the next time, we jogged the way home, and the next time, I added 2 blocks to the jog home.

Last night, Charlie and I met two little girls playing at the park.  I wondered where their parents were and was kind of sad that they weren't taking advantage of park time with their kids.  (Although I totally understand that making dinner is an important task as well!)  And as I added two more blocks to my run, it dawned on me how special this time is with Charlie.  I hope to be teaching him about the importance of being active and enjoying the outdoors. And hopefully, he can remind me of how fun it is to crawl up the playground equipment, peer through the plexiglass "windows", and slide down the static-ridden plastic slide.

2 comments:

  1. I miss running with my kids!!! Now it's kind of difficult w/ one in the jogger and one on a bike with training wheels that needs to stop and look at the ants...or the dandilion...or can't quite make it up the hill and needs help. Ha! It all works out though and we still have the fun days at the park and our now walks are quite entertaining. :)

    I bet id feels great to get back to running!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So tell me, if you just recently started working out again, how is it that you look so great already!!? What's the secret:) You are one lucky mama to be back in your pre-baby clothes.

    ReplyDelete