Thursday, April 28, 2011

Bookends....

I have been a self-proclaimed bookworm for as long as I can remember.  Many of my favorite childhood memories involve books--one in particular reminds me of how I'm feeling right now.

My family and I were traveling to Madison, WI to visit my aunt's family.  Among my usual arsenal of travel entertainment was an assortment of books.  For some reason, I vividly remember that I was reading three books.  The first, a "Babysitter's Club" book, was an easy light read (for an elementary student--I liken it to my current "chic lit" books), the second, "Mandy and the Secret Tunnel" was a rivoting mystery that hooked me on the entire series, and the third was another novel by Ann M. Martin. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the book but I thought it was awesome.  I have no idea what the book was even about (although I know it was sad and made me cry), and that I could NOT put it down.  All I wanted to do was read that dang book and when we arrived at Trisha & Denny's house, nothing changed.



My terribly mean and unsympathetic, obviously illiterate parents forced me to put the book down and (gasp!) interact with the family! (Can you believe them?)  I had to eat with them, play with them, go places with them.... all while an amazing book just sat in my backpack begging to be read.  After dutifully hanging out with the family, I had no other choice than to read my book at bedtime.  The problem was that my parents had already told me "lights out" several times.  My flashlight had even been confiscated because I was caught reading after midnight.  Little did they know, I had a backup illumination plan.  My little turquoise AM/FM radio/tape player had the tiniest little power light.  I turned on the radio, volume all the way down, and snuggled down to the bottom of the bed.  There, in the incredibly dim light of my radio, I read my beloved book until it was finished.  When I finally turned off the radio "light", the time was 4:48.

I have NO idea why I remember the time.  Probably because I had never stayed up that late.  Ever.

And now, years later, I'm in a similar situation--in the middle of three books and wanting to read all of them.  The main difference being that there is absolutely no way I would stay up until almost 5:00 reading a book anymore.  The other difference is that while my parents are not forcing me to do things, I have a feeling I should probably do laundry, make supper, give the dog food, and change some diapers (and write this blog) before giving in to my books. 

So, when those things are accomplished, I'm going to dive in. 

My current reads are:
"The Confession" by John Grisham
"The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak
and
"The Baby Whisperer for Toddlers" by Tracy Hogg

Two novels and one parenting book--I can't wait to finish them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment