Monday, May 16, 2011

Definition of "Happy Hour"

I took this picture on May 5, 2011. 



Cinco de Mayo.  A party day.  A celebration.  A day to go out and whoop it up, right? 

Or, just another beautiful day in a small town.  Good Girl had been walked & fed.  Dinner had been prepared & eaten with the family.  Dishes were done.  The cutie pie was bathed and in bed.  Laundry was in the dryer.  Facebook had been checked.  So I sat outside, sipped some red wine, and watched the sun go down.  Had the daddy been there (he was golfing) it would have been perfect. 

And as I sat outside, wine glass in one hand and baby monitor in the other, I gazed out at our backyard and thought of what I probably had been doing ten or twelve years ago on May 5th.  Of course I can't remember what I did (either it was pretty non-eventful or I had indulged in some celebratory margaritas--or both) but I guarantee you that it didn't involve sipping wine and enjoying the view of a bare cornfield. 

If you would have told my 20-something self that someday I'd be totally content sitting on my deck looking at a field I would have laughed at you.  But I have to admit, that there are more days than not, that I would take my view over one from a city penthouse or a Colorado mountaintop.  (And then there are other days when I'd just give anything to live next to a Target)

No comments:

Post a Comment