Sunday, September 18, 2011

My New Favorite Author

When I was a kid, I loved "Ann M. Martin".  For some of you, that name may mean nothing.  For others, you instantly think of those pastel paper-back books with the little blocks spelling "The Babysitter's Club" across the top.  She was my go-to favorite author.  I loved most of her books, and liked all of them.  Before her, I was addicted to Beverly Cleary--and read every single one of her books. As I grew up, other authors were added to the list--authors I could always count on to deliver a good read.  Names like Christopher Pike, VC Andrews, Mary Higgins Clark, Jody Piccult, and of course, JK Rowling. 

I LOVE TO READ.  Of course, I wish I had more time to sit and read--but I've begun to take advantage of audio books and try to carve a little night reading into each evening before bed.  In 2008, Mason gave me this new contraption called a "kindle" for our 1st anniversary.  "Paper" is the traditional 1st year anniversary gift, and he reasoned that books are made from paper and someday, most people will read books on something like this "kindle".  Nobody that I knew had ever heard of a kindle--and honestly, i thought it sounded kind of stupid.  Why pay for books when I can go to the library?  But after figuring out how to use it, I began to love my Kindle--and now it's a regular piece of me--usually found on my nightstand, the ottoman, the kitchen counter, or in my purse. 

Anyway, after finishing "The Hunger Games" trilogy, I was in need of something to read.  I didn't have time to run to the library, and found a book on my Kindle that I downloaded a long time ago.  The book was titled, "The Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes" by Diane Chamberlain.  I didn't think it sounded great, but I was out of options and started to read. 

Once I began that book, I'm pretty sure I neglected most of my daily chores and activities.  It was one of those great stories--the kind of book that is hard to put down at night and makes you feel like some kind of a drug addict as you crave your next fix--another chapter--or maybe two as soon as possible! Although there were parts of the book that I wasn't crazy about, I loved the way the author made me care about her characters, and I loved her style of writing.  I read books for entertainment and for the story-- I hate when authors get caught up in the details of things and the history of those details.  Chamberlain is fantastic at weaving together a well thought out story--that keeps you turning pages until the end.  I'm so glad I stumbled across this book--it's always great to have another author you can always count on!




You can find more about her here: http://www.dianechamberlain.com/

PS:  I just HAD to read her latest book, "The Midwife's Confession" which was also wonderful.  I don't think it was as great as Cee Cee, but still pretty dang good. 

1 comment:

  1. Definitely going to have to add the Cee Cee book to my 'to read' list...

    ReplyDelete