Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sneakers and Santa Hats

June 19, 2009 was the last time I really participated in exercising.  Two days after that, I found out I was pregnant and that was that.  Oh sure, I walked and swam right up until C was born, and went for tons of walks after C was born, and even took the jogging stroller out a few times.  But I haven't "trained" for anything since then.   And while I'm honestly not really missing it, I feel like I should get back in the loop.

I'm a little hesitant because training now will require me to either

a) get up super early to run outside (like 5:00 ish)--- this is NOT a desirable option to me

or

b) jog on the treadmill during C's nap-- this is NOT a desirable option to me either.

I don't mind getting up early, but then I MUST take a nap.  Remember, I'm a mandatory 8-hour sleeper (thus the reason the first five months of baby phase were excruciating for me).  And I don't really mind jogging mid-day during C's nap but I detest running on the treadmill.  (Plus our screen is broken so I can't even stare at the seconds ticking by or watch the little dots light up around that imaginary track)

However, I realize that I MUST just do this.  Before C, participating in (I don't want to misuse the word "compete" because I clearly do not compete with anyone during these things) races was a pretty large part of my life.  I love having something on the calendar to work towards, I love being held accountable for exercising, and most of all, I LOVE race day.

So...... I am very tempted to dust off my running shoes, don a Santa hat, and sign up for the annual "Snow Shuffle" in Cedar Falls.  This would give me about a month to go from zero to 5K which may be a bit ambitious but I think I could at least finish.  Since I haven't even gone for a jog in a year, I have yet to state a formal goal-- but I think it would need to be similar to my 2004 marathon goal-- finish the race.  However, as the cold air begins to settle over the midwest, I'm also a little tempted to just spend that training time under a blanket with my knitting needles or a good book.  I know I SHOULD just sign up for that race, but...... can I?  Will I?  Do I really want to?  Augh! I don't know-- and I really need to get off the fence.  If anyone wants to join me,  I'd love some merry companionship!!


No comments:

Post a Comment