Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Bad Case of the Giggles

When my sister and I were kids, I remember the occasional family meal where the two of us would get an uncontrollable case of the giggles.  I honestly can't remember what these fits of laughter would even stem from but they resulted in the heartiest belly laughs you can imagine.  You know the kind?  Where you're gasping for air, tears are forming in your eyes, and the harder you try to stop.... the more you can't contain it? 

As an adult, I've had a few of those completely random fits of laughter-- but of course, they are fewer and further between-- and probably involve a huge lack of sleep and/or alcohol consumption.

But tonight was different.  No sleep deprivation.  No alcohol.  Just me and.... my two year old. 

It started innocently enough.  I had gotten home from parent/teacher conferences (of which I rarely have anyone even stop by my office) moments before Charlie went to bed.  This gave me time to get my nightly cuddles and book reading before laying him down. 

Lately, C insists on reading the books.  I hold them and he 'reads' them and turns the pages.  We read a few nice stories and then we got to this one:



It's a really....stupid (?) book that C has loved since we started our nightly book reading (around 4 months).   Maybe it's because there is a picture of the moon on every page? 

Anyway, we got about half way through, and he lets out this little squeal of a giggle.   I laughed out loud--it was so cute.  Then he laughed....at my laugh.  And then I laughed.  Then he let out a belly laugh and I was a goner.  This went on until mascara was running down my face, we were both gasping for air, and M was peering through the crack in the door wondering what the commotion was all about. 

After re-reading the book three more times to selfishly prolong the giggling, I finally regained my composure enough to finish the book.  C begged for "more fish book!"  Sadly, all giggle fits must come to an end-- but I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of them.

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh, I just love your blog. Although it totally makes me feel guilty for neglecting mine.

    Hope C had a great birthday. Love this story about the giggles. It's inspiring me to write one about our family dinners recently. Let's hope I get it posted sometime in the next month...

    ReplyDelete