Friday, April 20, 2012

Steven Bomgaars; An Interview from 1989 (or thereabout)

I'm beginning to think that I should have organized my entire life much sooner than this year!  I'm finding all sorts of goodies!  The other day, I uncovered another family interview.  This time it was of my dad--- and although it was all written in my own 5th grade cursive, I'm still in love with it.  Take a look:


I have no idea if this was some kind of class project or just my own journalistic endeavor.  (My poor parents had to put up with all sorts of things like this from their daughters)  At some point, when I'm feeling more sappy and nostalgic, I will definitely be writing more about these interviews-- and how special it is to do things like this with your children.  But for now, here's the interview taken with Steven K. Bomgaars.  (Can you tell I had to come up with the questions this time? The first three are basically the exact same!)

1.  What did you spend most of your time doing [when you were a child]? I spent most time playing different sports with friends, reading, and playing at friends' houses. 

2.  Where did you spend most of your time?  Usually I spent time at the library, the baseball field, or at my friends' houses. 

3.  What hobbies did you have when you were younger?  I liked playing different sports, reading, and collecting baseball cards.  

4.  What did you want to be when you were younger?  I wanted to be a pro baseball player because I thought it would be exciting. 

5.  What do you do for a living?  I teach high school Government. 

6.  Explain your job.  Well, I teach Government and History for 11th and 12th graders.  It also involves correcting papers, planning lessons, helping students, and attending meetings--yuck.  

7.  What do you like and dislike about your job? I like teaching a subject that I truly enjoy.  I like working with young people.  I dislike all the meetings and the more I teach, the more I hate correcting papers!

8.  How long have you taught in Spencer?  9 years

9.  What brought you to Spencer?  I was brought up in Spencer and when I was offered a job in Spencer I gladly said "yes"!  

10.  How long have you lived in Spencer?  I have lived in Spencer for 23 years. 

11.  What do you like and dislike about Spencer?  I like the small town atmosphere but dislike being so far from the cultural things a major city would have.

12.  If you had three wishes, what would you wish for?  I would wish for a healthy and long life for myself and my family, I'd wish for a million dollars, and I'd wish that all the hunger would be abolished throughout the world.  

13.  If you had one million dollars, what would you do with it?  I would invest most and use the rest to take my family on an unforgettable vacation.  


It's fun for me to read the answers that my dad gave me back then.  If I had to answer these questions about him today-- I think I would have guessed correctly.  So has my dad changed much in the past....  24 (or so) years since this interview was given?  Well, he still is a huge baseball fan, loves reading books (and the newspaper, and magazines, and articles....), and enjoys hanging out with his friends.  He still teaches Government, though he has been a School Counselor (like his daughter!!) and he has taught other classes such as American Experience, Community Volunteers, and AP Government.  I'm pretty sure that he has also taught classes at ILCC.  I think he still hates grading papers.  I think he has lived in Spencer for around 47 years if you count his childhood years spent there.  I'm pretty sure he still loves his town but enjoys visiting other cultural areas....provided that he can still be home in time to grade some papers on Sunday night.  So far, world hunger has not been abolished but he has had a pretty long and healthy life.  And in the summer of 2009, he and my mom took my sister and me (and our dear husbands) on a wonderful "unforgettable vacation" to Washington DC.  Looks like things are goin' pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment