Saturday, May 5, 2012

A Good Cry

Have you ever had those moments where nothing is really bothering you?  Nothing terrible just happened, nobody said anything mean to you, you're not physically hurt or injured, everything is going along pretty good in your life... yet you find yourself on the verge of tears?  And then, at the strangest moment (for me it's those Mother's Day Pampers commercials with the mama animal & baby animal-- or reading the book "Someday") you just feel the tears let loose?  And no matter how sunny it is outside, it just feels so good to cry---and cry---and cry.  And then, when your face is all red and puffy and looks like you've just suffered something terrible, you're ready to make dinner, throw in a load of laundry, and go about your regularly scheduled life?  You know that kind of cry?

Well, I think my son maybe inherited this.... need..... from me.  (Or else he's just being two-- which is probably more accurate)  

Here's the scoop: 

I ran to the library after work one afternoon and grabbed a few books for C.  I found one that we had checked out ages ago called, "What Shall We Do With the Boo-Hoo Baby?" and C had found hysterical.  We loved that book last fall!  It was funny to read about the animals trying to help this little baby--- who just kept on crying.


But that particular day, C paged through that book after his nap and clearly became very upset by the baby crying.  I peeked in his room and saw him reading the book and saying, "Baby sad!  Baby want his mommy.  Where Baby's mommy? Baby sad!"  I thought it was cute, but a lump formed in my throat when big crocodile tears formed in his bright blue eyes.  I didn't know whether to laugh or tear up-- so I just sat and listened.  But soon it became clear that C was getting sadder at every page turn.  

I sat down next to him and said, "What's wrong Charlie?"

And then the dam broke.  Tears poured down his cheeks as he wailed, "Baby sad!  Baby want his mommy!  Baby not like the animals.  Where Baby's mommy?"  He jumped into my arms, wrapped his arms around my neck and just sobbed.  His body shook.  At first, I tried to soothe him, and then I realized that maybe he just needs a little cry (or sob).  So he clung to me and cried for awhile-- until that offer of playing outside sounded good enough.  Then I wiped his tears, grabbed his shoes, headed outside, and enjoyed the sunshine and the rest of the afternoon.  Maybe a good cry was all he really needed.
  

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. That's one of the most precious things I've ever heard!!:'(

    ReplyDelete