Friday, September 7, 2012

I Got You Babe

On September 1st, 2007, I said "I Do" to the man of my dreams.  :)  Here's a glimpse of that day:

Dad walked me "down the aisle" in Paradise
3 amazing ladies-- all pre-kids.  Now, each of these ladies is a mama!

One of my favorite wedding photos-- I really don't think I've ever been so happy as I was on that day!

Can't you just feel the energy!?  Our guests were awesome-- we are so fortunate!  

It's crazy to think that we've been married for five years.  In some ways it's crazy because it feels like we were married yesterday and in many more ways it feels like we've been together our entire lives.  (Kind of like having a kid, right?) 

And although we have celebrated our anniversary before, we've never gone away to celebrate.  So this year, we accepted my parent's offer to babysit and we headed up to the cities.  Although I don't get up there much anymore, I used to be pretty familiar with the area-- as it was the closest shopping area when we were growing up.  I was excited to do a little shopping (or a lot of shopping as it turns out) and M was excited to do a little relaxing.  He's not really a shopper-- at all, so the experience can be frustrating for both of us.  Fortunately, we both were okay with a little alone time on our anniversary trip.  This meant I got to hang out at IKEA for a couple hours and M got to watch football on a couch without a two year old begging him to play. 

After I returned from my IKEA shopping spree, we got dolled up (well, not really but wearing lipstick these days feels pretty 'dolled up') and headed downtown and ate at a great seafood restaurant on Nicolette Ave. 
Isn't he the CUTEST?!

After our dinner, we had a few totties and then headed back to our hotel.  Remember, at our ages we turn into pumpkins around 10:00 so being out on the town until close to 11:00 almost did us in!

The next morning, we headed over to the Mall of America for some browsing.  
Here's the real reason I wanted to go to MOA.   Cinnabon!
M was a gem --eagerly agreeing to belly up to a bar and watch golf for a couple hours while I shopped.  I met him for a quick lunch and then gave myself another 45 minutes before hitting the road.  When we finally drove out of the parking lot, it was close to 3:00 but we had both enjoyed the day.  It was strange being in our house without our little one but we managed to relax on the couch and watch more tv in one night than we've watched in the past two years.  The next morning, we went for a long bike ride before trying to do something semi-productive.  (Like adding up the receipt totals and vowing to not spend a dime for the next two months.) 

When we picked up C later that afternoon, he threw a fairly mild tantrum over leaving his grandparents and we knew our little vacation was over.  While a screaming child is hardly a friendly homecoming, it was a welcome one as I missed our little guy when we were away for those two days.

Before having C, I really didn't understand how couples could forget to take time for themselves.  Afterall, how hard could it be to get a babysitter and go out for some drinks?  But like so many other things, it was a lesson I had to learn by going through it.  Now I understand how easy it is to slip into the daily life dol-drums without even realizing it.  It's so easy to let this little 7 pound, 17 pound, 27 pound, 37 pound person totally dictate your every decision-- even though you swore it would never be that way.  And because if this, I think it's so important to take a little time away.  It was great to just hang out with M without any of the "daily life" stresses.  And while it was just a weekend, it felt nice to reconnect and charge our batteries a little bit.  Perhaps we should get something on the calendar before another five years pass by.  

No comments:

Post a Comment