Wednesday, December 26, 2012

When Sleep Eludes You

Isn't that a Cybalta slogan? Whoever coined that term, I feel like it's all I've beeen muttering for the past three weeks, each night at "bedtime".  And not because sleep eludes me, but because it eludes my almost 3 year old (34 month) child. 

I've mentioned before, and I'll mention again, that M & I are NOT good when itcomes to lack of sleep.  Of all parenting struggles, I feel like this is the hardest so far.  (Yes, I know I know, when he is older he'll have bigger issues and problems, bla bla bla, but right now, this is about the most frustrating thing ever.)

I think one of the reasons we're so frustrated is because he had a span of awesome sleeping.  After hiring our sleep coach when he was 4 months old, he became a great sleeper.  Of course, he had a random spell here or there, and sleep was always a problem when he was teething, but we've never had a problem last for a couple weeks. 

But we're going on week four of "having trouble falling asleep."  Nothing really has changed, except that he transitioned into a big boy bed earlier this fall (I've read that sleep disruptions can occur about 6 months after transitioning-- and we're right about there).  Our schedule is the same, our bedtime routine is still in place, and the only thing that varies is taking a bath every other night.   We always always always read books before bed, and then he's "down" for bed between 8:15 and 8:30.  And typically, he fell asleep by 9:00.  But gradually, that turned into 9:15, 9:30, 9:45, and 10:00.  OUR bedtime is 10:00!  (I know, we're super pathetic, but we just turn into pumpkins right after House Hunters wraps up)  I feel like we're shifting out of balance again, and C is starting to associate bedtime with not being able to sleep, which bothers me a lot.

Of course, I'm a solver so I ordered and skimmed the Dr. Ferber book  (I've read it cover to cover twice after checking it out from the library-- thought it might be time to invest in a copy).  And here's what we've tried so far: 

*Shortened nap (C is still an excellent napper-- and has no problem falling asleep in his bed at naptime which is a good thing) but this didn't change a thing.
* Long nap (letting him wake up on his own) but this didn't help at all as he slept 3 hours and I finally went in to wake him.
* No nap-- this was the worst idea by far as he was fine until about 4:30 and then every tiny issue set him off and he had fewer coping skills than normal (he doesn't have any good coping skills really) and he still didn't fall asleep until after 9:00.
* Same bedtime--but he just keeps falling asleep later and later despite this
* Late bedtime-- we've tried putting him down close to the time he falls asleep, with the logic that he would take less time to fall asleep.  The first night, he was asleep by 10:00 after going down at 9:30, but last night was the WORST (yes, we were at my parents, yes it's Christmas) and he didn't fall asleep until close to 11:00. 

And this morning, I'm writing this at 7:30 in the morning.  As in, C was up and at 'em by his usual clockwork time of 6:50.  Ah lovely.   (And people tell me teenagers are annoying-- I cannot wait for the years when he sleeps in!!!) So, we're kind of at a loss for what to do-- we just know this cannot continue.  M & I are workig on being more flexible and less freaky-out-ish, but we're sort of failing.  We'll keep trying.  We'll just keep trying. 

1 comment:

  1. so glad I am not the only person in the world working on being less freak-out-ish...

    wish I had some answers here...I'm sure this cuts into the "lovin" which is my biggest concern!!

    ReplyDelete