Sunday, January 6, 2013

13 in '13

I consider checking off 7 of my 12 goals in 2012 a total success and I know I wouldn't have accomplished them had I not written them down.  (Did you know that writing down your goals in a spot for others to see immediately improves your chances of completing them by over 90%?)  So, after a bit of thought, I've come up with my list for 2013.

This year, I again want to focus on doing things for me, but I also want to work on a few other things, and also spend some time on the relationships in my life.  Specifically, I want to: learn something new, continue something I made progress on, create something new, organize or refurbish something, connect with someone, train my body/ get in shape for events, help those in need, be healthy, and enjoy the spare time I have.  And based on those large categories, here's what I've come up with:

1.  Learn Something New.  I'd like to learn how to paint with watercolors-- more than what I learned in kindergarten.

2.  Continue something I made progress on.  Scrapbook-- I made a lot of progress on C's traditional scrapbook by working on it once a month.  Plus, it gave me a much needed creative outlet so I plan to continue this as well.

3.  Create something new.  For the year 2013, I want to start a digital scrapbook of our daily life.  I'll leave the traditional scrapbooking to big trips or events.

4.  Organize something.  Videos.  Starting in 2013, I'd like to download our short videos once a month and burn them to a dvd.  Sounds simple enough.  Right?

5.  Connect with Someone.  Send Birthday Cards. I'm terrible about sending b-day cards.  Horrible, actually.  I'd like to do better about sending cards to my immediate family members and nieces and nephews.  And ideally, they'll arrive on time.

6.  Connect with Someone.  Write letters.   I liked this task last year and think I can do better in 2013.  I especially want to write my grandmother more often as she'll be 90 this month and I'm sure the mail is always appreciated.

7.  Train for something.  I loved doing the triathlons last year and would love to complete another one this year.  But I've kind of lost sight of 5k's and how much I enjoy participating in them. This year, I'd like to complete 3 5K races. (Red Flannel, Run Like a Mother, and Snow Shuffle)

8. Help someone in need. Volunteer.  For something.  I need to make this specific but I haven't really decided how or in what capacity.  Plus, volunteering at this moment in my life is also a logistical difficulty and so I'd like to volunteer or help in a place where Charlie can come with me.  (this makes it difficult--any ideas?)

9. Be healthy. Plan Meals/ Make freeze ahead meals.  I stumbled across this website: http://onceamonthmom.com/ and I want to order at least one month's worth of recipes.  I love cooking but I hate meal planning.  And I hate the cruel and grouchy ogre I am when I'm in the middle of racking my brain for another weeks' worth of meals.  So perhaps this would help?  They tell you what to make, what to buy, and you cook all your meals in one day and freeze them.  Sounds enticing....

10. Be healthy.  Plan and prepare healthier versions of snacks for C.  More fruits and veggies, less fruit snacks and chips.

11. Enjoy spare time/ Connect with others. Plan new activities to enjoy with C.  This will require some preparation on my part, but if I get in gear, I should be able to make a list for each month.  Then we can do one "new" experience or craft each week.

12.  Enjoy spare time/ Connect with others.  Rent 12 movies to watch with M.  We used to watch tons of movies/ tv shows but ended up canceling our Netflix because we rarely watched anymore (again, life changed after C!).  But because it's hard for us to do an actual date night every month, I want to try to at least do a movie night with him.

13.  Enjoy spare time.  Read 20 books.  I read 27 in 2012, but sometimes I felt like I "had" to be reading, just because I needed to reach my goal of 25.  I think 20 is a more reasonable goal, and better pace for me to finish comfortably.

Of course, I have a few other "to do" types of things that I really want to accomplish this year (finally set up C's college account, get our wills updated, organize the storage room, tackle the front yard work,  always have an organized junk drawer, etc. etc.) but I'm going to try to not get hung up on them if they are on my list at this time next year.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment