Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Writing Prompt #6: A Picture of Something That Makes You Happy

I love this prompt, but my first thought was, "A picture?  As in, one singular, lone, independent picture?"  Of something that makes me happy?  I don't claim to be the eternal optimist, but honestly, I have a 32gb flash drive that is filled with pictures that make me happy.  And believe it or not, I even took a few photos before Charlie was born!  So sorry friends, but I couldn't narrow it down to just one photo.  Instead, you get to see a few of my absolute favorite pictures taken within the past five years.  (I'm tossing around the idea of doing this same prompt for other 5-year incriments.... that sounds fun)

Okay, so here we go:

Photo #1.  Our Wedding Day:
Why it makes me happy:  Aside from the obvious fact that it was our wedding day, I just love everything about this picture.  I love the positioning of us, I love the ocean behind us, I love the shadows over our faces, and the bright sky. I love that it's not "perfect" in terms of photography.  I love that you can see the little rhinestones in my veil and can tell the way I had my hair done.  More than anything, I love the look we both have on our faces.  Can you tell that I was giddy with excitement?  Can you tell Mase was on the verge of tears?  Tears.  Real, wet, salty, tears.  From my husband.  That's why I love this photo.


Photo #2:  Me standing on Berthoud Pass, on the Continental Divide (July, 2009) 

Mason and I traveled out to Colorado the summer before Charlie was born.  We wanted to do a big trip with stops in the Black Hills, Yellowstone, and then Colorado, but the idea of a two week roadtrip suddenly sounded really daunting after learning I was pregnant.  Instead, I convinced Mason that he needed to let me show him where I spent two magical summers in college, Granby Colorado. This photo seems to pour out feelings for me; happy, free, excited, energized, loved, hopeful, inspired, healthy, adventurous, happy.  happy.  happy.  Berthoud Pass, and it's windy switchbacks, steep curves, and majestic views leads you from I90 up into the mountains.  The Frasier Valley, where no horizon exists, the sun rises late and sets early, and is home to the best pizza on the planet, holds many memories for me.  I'll forever be a midwestern girl, but the Rocky Mountains will forever occupy a special place in my heart that I'm sure will never fade.  

Photo #3:  Mason, relaxing in the sage field at Camp Chief Ouray in Granby, CO  (July 2009)

If you've never camped out under the stars, in just a sleeping bag and stocking cap, in a fragrant open sage field, I encourage you to add it to your Bucket List.  There is something so magical about the smell of sage, wafting through your dreams, as you snuggle deeper and deeper into the goose down that separates you from the ground.  Without getting too spiritual, I have to admit that those camping experiences gave me a feeling that I can only describe as knowing where I came from.  Everything seemed peaceful.  Everything seemed as it should be.  Everything seemed right.  Then I fast forward eleven years, and visit that same magical sage field, only this time with the person in my life with whom everything seems peaceful and right and as it should be.  And the result of that click on the cheepy point and shoot camera turned out to be one of my all-time favorite photos for just those reasons.

Photo #4:  Maddy and Charlie watching birds on the lawn.  (Spring, 2011)



Everyone reading this blog probably remembers the video that was taken the same day as these photos.  (It is, perhaps, my favorite video of the nine million videos we have of Charlie.) I love so many things about these photos.  In fact, getting them enlarged and framed is on my long "to do" list for the near future.  I think the photos speak for themselves, no need for me to try to explain why  think they're so sweet.  I love love love these two babies.

(I promise to update this when/if I figure out how to embed the bird watching video!)

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. What a great idea! I might have to steal this idea!

    ReplyDelete