Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sunday Hymn


I haven't written much about religion lately, but the thoughts I have on this subject continue to rattle around my brain like a Bingo roller.  Someday, when I'm able to organize my thoughts and draw some conclusions, I'll begin posting them here.

For now, I'll just mention that I've been attending the Unitarian Universalist church a bit more this winter.  Sister asked me what UUs "believe" and the answer is kind of a non-answer (just my style).  Most UU's will tell you that they don't share a particular creed, only a search for spiritual growth.  To me, this take on spirituality is so warm and welcoming and honest and refreshing.  I have been waiting my entire church life to hear someone tell me that things are not absolutes, that it is okay to wonder and question and kind of but not really believe.  I've waited forever to hear that one book (especially one that is thousands of years old, has been through many translations, and can be interpreted in a million different ways) really does not hold all the answers.  When I have gone to the UU church, I have felt no judgement.  There's no guilt.  The focus is on connecting with other people and our communities and our Earth.  It feels like really good people trying to continue being really good people, despite the hardships of this thing called life.  

Last Sunday, we sang this hymn.  I feel like this is one of the truest things I've ever heard in church.  And I've been waiting since 2nd grade (my first communion) to hear someone say that last line:
And in our search for peace, maybe we'll finally see, even to question truly is an answer.  



We Laugh, We Cry

We laugh, we cry, we live, we  die, we dance, we sing our song.
We need to feel there's something here to which we can belong.
We need to feel the freedom just to have some time alone.
But most of all we need close friends we can call our very own.

And we believe in life, and in the strength of love, and we have found a need to be together.
We have our hearts to give, we have our thoughts to receive, and we believe that sharing is an answer.

A child is born among us and we feel a special glow.
We see a time's endless journey as we watch the baby grow.
We thrill to hear imagination freely running wild.
We dedicate our minds and hearts to the spirit of this child.

And we believe in life and in the strength of love, and we have found a time to be together.
And with the grace of age, we share the wonder of youth, and we believe that growing is an answer.

Our lives are full of wonder and our time is very brief.
The death of one among us fills us all with pain and grief.
But as we live, so shall we die, and when our lives are done, the memories we shared with friends, they will linger on and on.

And we believe in life, and in the strength of love, and we have found a place to be together.
We have the right to grow, we have the gift to believe that peace within our living is an answer.

We seek elusive answers to the questions of this life.
We seek to put an end to all the waste of human strife.
We search for truth, equality, and blessed peace of mind.
And then we come together here, to make sense of what we find.

And we believe in life and in the strength of love, and we have found a joy being together.
And in our search for peace, maybe we'll finally see, even to question truly is an answer.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karah! Another UU here. I was doing a web search for this hymn... couldn't remember the name of it, but knew it had the words, "to question truly is an answer" and google led me to your blog. I agree: UUism supports those of us who "live in the question". That confuses or even scares some of my non-UU friends and family, and admitting to myself and even saying "I don't know" is sometimes uncomfortable in a society that places such esteem on being sure of yourself. Don't get me wrong, I admire knowledge myself - but I a feel anathema toward claiming knowledge in places my heart feels I should be open to.

    If instead of saying I "live in the question", I say I "live in wonder", then I find that is much more palatable to myself and to others. May you have a wonder-full life!

    ReplyDelete