Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Crocodile's Toothache


    The Crocodile's Toothache, by Shel Silverstein
    The Crocodile
    Went to the dentist
    And sat down in the chair,
    And the dentist said, "Now tell me, sir,
    Why does it hurt and where?"
    And the Crocodile said, "I'll tell you the truth,
    I have a terrible ache in my tooth,"
    And he opened his jaws so wide, so wide,
    The the dentist, he climbed right inside,
    And the dentist laughed, "Oh isn't this fun?"
    As he pulled the teeth out, one by one.
    And the Crocodile cried, "You're hurting me so!
    Please put down your pliers and let me go."
    But the dentist laughed with a Ho Ho Ho,
    And he said, "I still have twelve to go-
    Oops, that's the wrong one, I confess,
    But what's one crocodile's tooth more or less?"
    Then suddenly, the jaws went SNAP,
    And the dentist was gone, right off the map,
    And where he went one could only guess...
    To North or South or East or West...
    He left no forwarding address.
    But what's one dentist, more or less?


    Guess who else went to the dentist? Hmmmm....

    We've been reading books about the dentist, and poems like the one above, and we've been "playing dentist", but he was still a little hesitant at first...


    But he quickly opened up...just like a crocodile.  According to Charlie, this is what happened next: 

    "And then, he put on dis blue thingy over his whole mouf and face and eyes and he was peeking out wif his eyes.  Probably he wanted to have his eyes closed but he was just peeking out a little bit and peeking right into my big mouf like a crocodile." 


    He didn't seem thrilled with the three minute experience, but he didn't complain either.  Of course, maybe I wouldn't mind going to the dentist if my dentist had a tv in the ceiling.   (And maybe I wouldn't mind going to the dentist if I flossed more and didn't have exposed roots.) 


    To celebrate a cavity-free/ 50 dollar/ three-minute/ 1st dental visit, we went over to Barnes & Noble to pick out a book.  Actually we really went there to have a snack. Definitely not an ADA approved snack.  Shhh.  


    My child is not aware that Barnes & Noble sells books.  He only knows they have trains.  Damn B&N marketing geniuses.  



    The marketing genius people also place these trains in a little nook, tucked away in the back of the store.  I'm guessing this makes sense-- then the rest of the world does not need to hear choo-chooing sounds while trying to catch up on their free reading.  However, when a tantrum ensues from being forced to leave these beloved toys, the walk to the front of the store (THE EXIT) is 100 miles away.  People raise their eyebrows at the mother and give a little tight-lipped frowny smile in a judgy sort of way.  And the mother sheepishly sighs and wisks her child toward the store exit, silently admitting that maybe this wasn't the best plan for a celebration, but she's still chalking it up to a successful day. Hypothetically speaking, of course.   

2 comments:

  1. Good job at the dentist, Charlie! I've had to deal with very similar tantrums with Nora at B&N too! Darn trains (although, I'm the idiot that takes her there to play with them!) :o)

    ReplyDelete