Thursday, May 2, 2013

This Close

Friends, I am this close to packing up my bags, grabbing flip flops, and moving the hell away from Iowa.  I'm thinking San Diego would be just fine.  I can handle living in a $300,000 shanty and buying overpriced everything.  I can handle average temperatures of mid 70's.  I can handle seeing my neighbors every single day.  I can handle 266 days of sunshine and 100 days of clouds.  What I cannot handle is more grey skies and clouds and friggin' s-n-o-w.  I cannot handle huddling up inside our homes for ten months of the year, emerging for two, and then high-tailing it back inside for another ten months while we wait out winter.  I cannot handle the absence of the sun.  I need you, Mr. Sun!  I cannot handle Iowa 2013.  This year is killing me.

(Note to self:  Self, PUH-LEESE, let's not be soooo dramatic.  Killing you?)  

Well, maybe this year is not killing me, but it's dragging me down. And adding the fact that winter is apparently not ending, is just the icing on the cake.

This morning, we woke up to freezing drizzle:


By 11:00, we were dismissing school.

Now, at 3:00, we have about 3 inches of snow on-the-ground.  In May.


I'm dying.  (I'm not really dying)  

But this cannot be good for my health.  

When M came home for lunch, I said: 

"M, if you come home tonight and tell me, Honey, there's no time to pack but I just booked a flight to ......(insert warm sunny destination here)....., hurry up! Grab Charlie! Let's go!  I will jump into your arms and smother you with kisses and say, "Okay, let me grab my sunglasses".  And I will leave everything behind and never look back."  

And he said, matter of factly, "It's supposed to be 70 by Monday."  

Sigh.  I don't think I can wait that long.  This blog is titled, Bloom Where You're Planted for a reason.  As in, try to shine no matter where you are, no matter what your circumstances might be.  But why-oh-why dear Lord of Lords, why did you plant my soul here?  I'm having trouble blooming, friends.  Some major trouble.    

1 comment:

  1. Ha-I hear ya, sister! I'm ready to head to the airport and head "somewhere warm". We listened to "Jingle Bells" in the van today! (If you can't beat them, join them!) :o) Hope the weather turns around soon. I am convinced this is THE LAST of the snow this year!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete