Monday, May 20, 2013

Whew.

As you may know, Mason just returned from his annual golf trip in Galena.  He and several other men spend four days golfing, eating, playing cards, and drinking adult beverages from the comforts of the Galena territitories resort.  It has become something he really looks forward to, and honestly, I look forward to my alone time with Charlie too.

Usually, C and I head over to Sister's for the weekend, but since she & her family are in the middle of a pretty major life transition, (new job, moving out/moving in) we decided to just hang out here and relax.  But how is it that every time I plan on just relaxing, I find myself scheduling ourselves to the max?

Thursday was the closest we came to relaxing-- we enjoyed the beautiful evening by walking over to the library and filling the wagon with books.  We came home, ate hot dogs and brats outside, and played until it was way-past-time for a bath.

Getting out of the house on Friday morning was a little tricky without Daddy serving as Household Case Manager, but we survived.  That afternoon, we headed down to Des Moines to spend the afternoon and evening with some friends.  Sister's family ended up stopping by and we played outside until the sun was practically setting.



Vincent's new car was the hit of the night.

Charlie finally got the hang of driving it and took his cousin for a spin. Looks to me like she's praying for dear life.  Not sure I blame her.  

The next morning, we woke up and headed to the Blank Park Zoo, a little gem tucked into the south side of Des Moines.  C was thrilled to discover that they had a tiger, a rhino, a train, and that the camel ride was open.  When it came time to ride the camel, he promised me that he could ride alone, even walking up to the ticket booth and purchasing "one ticket pweese."  We only had to wait a minute for his turn, but when it was time to climb aboard, he made it clear that he would not be taking one step closer unless I was going with him.  So lucky me, I got to sit on the hump.  C is still talking about this-- I'm practically famous in his eyes because I sat so way up high on that big humpy. 





FINALLY it's train time!


After the eventful camel ride, we fed the parakeets, rode the train, ate hamburgers, and headed for home.  As we were leaving the zoo, C looked up at me so sweetly and said, "But I don't want to leave the zoo, Mommy.  I'm not ready to go home."  I hated to disappoint him, but I had a feeling that he was running low on energy and wouldn't make it through much more of the zoo.  We packed up our things, and C was asleep before we pulled out of the parking lot.

The two of us had a great afternoon/ evening at home that night, although I was a bit ambitious in the kitchen-- making fruit leather, gluten-free mozzarella sticks, and homemade Paleo pizza.  But after the kitchen was finally cleaned up, we attempted another movie night.  We started with Ratatouie, but five minutes into the movie C told me that "Dis little rat is boring.  I want Lightning McQueen." So we switched to CARS and hoped it would be more successful.  Everything looked good, with the sleeping bags and M&M's, and pillows piled high around us, but all C wanted to do was roll around in his sleeping bag, climb on me and jump off me onto the floor.  I sort of imagined movie night a little more relaxing than that. But eventually, bedtime came for both of us and neither one of us made a peep until morning.

M ended up coming home a bit earlier than expected due to a rainy forecast, which gave me a moment to sneak in a quick Target trip and pedicure-- the perfect remedy for such a relaxing weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment