Monday, October 14, 2013

Pregnancy & Infant Loss Remembrance Day

Tuesday, October 15th is National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day.  Although you, personally, may not have been affected by pregnancy or infant loss, I'm willing to bet that someone you love has experienced it intimately.

My struggle to deal with my own losses has been challenging, but in a way, they have also opened my eyes to opportunities right in front of me.  (Hopefully at some point in the near future, I'll be able to write and share about this.) While I imagine that each person who deals with pregnancy or infant loss experiences a common thread of grief, I also believe that everyone's feelings and struggles and journey are unique to them.

And there are supporters-- people who haven't carried a tiny little heartbeat inside them, or been given devastating news about the development of their fetus, or wondered if they somehow caused something terrible to happen to a innocent little soul.  But these people have shown up for their grieving friends and listened and cried and held their hands.  And both groups of people are affected and changed in different ways.

So tomorrow, October 15th, I'm encouraging you to light a candle in honor of those little souls we never had the chance to meet-- but we loved fiercely anyway.  And light a candle for those little souls who made it into this world, who rested in loving arms, only to be taken away a moment later.  Loved and never forgotten.  



1 comment:

  1. Interesting that this day falls on the birthdate of my youngest child, who came after all three of my losses.

    <3 Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete