Monday, June 16, 2014

Summer's Here!

Well friends, we are officially a week into summer vacation.  As crazy as it seems, the first week of summer is usually a weird/ difficult/ uncomfortable time for me.  The part of me that craves routine and schedules is all out of whack while the part of me that craves later wake up calls, morning walks, plenty of to-do projects, and endless adventures gets stressed about finding time to do it all.  And then you throw in planning kid lunches and I usually feel overwhelmed and unprepared and totally out of my element.  I feel completely un-equipped to suddenly be a stay-at-home mom, if only for a temporary ten weeks.

But this year has been different.  For starters, I worked extra days at school-- cleaning, rearranging, organizing, sorting, filing--- all with the hope that I don't need to do it during the heat of August. Something tells me I'll be pretty uncomfortable by then. :)

Then, last week Charlie started daily swimming lessons in Cedar Falls.  He was not excited about this but in our house, swimming lessons are non-negotiable.  We decided that his job as a four year old is to take lessons... and his paycheck would be a trip to Target (specifically, the toy aisle with Imaginext toys) at the end of the two weeks.  He gladly accepted and has taken his "job" very seriously.  The lessons are going great-- he's right on track with his peers and while I wish he would eagerly go under water and swim without any hesitation, I know he's right where he needs to be.  He listens to his teacher and tries everything they ask-- even jumping in the "big pool"-- which took a little reminding about 'his job' and that trip to Target.  I've seen such improvement from the lessons-- especially in his comfort level and his ability to get in/out of the pool on his own.  So the lessons are going great-- and they made the first week of summer transition much easier for me-- we had no choice but to just dive right into summer!  (pun intended)

(We weren't supposed to take pics... so these are quick and blurry and sneaky... don't tell anyone that I posted them to the internet!)




We've also been spending time at the city pool....which is never any fun.



I think about twenty people came up to me and said, "I didn't know you were expecting!" when I debuted my maternity suit at the pool.  The bump (not sure it's just a bump) cannot be hidden in June. :) 
In addition to C's busy lessons and open swim, I've managed to get in the pool to lap swim, thanks to some friends who agreed to watch Charlie during that hour.  In the past, I've wanted to lap swim, but hated to hire a babysitter for an hour-- so I'd often not go.  But as I've mentioned before, I'm trying to ask for help when needed and remember that my health/well-being should also be a priority in our family.


We've spent a few Friday nights on the golf course, and Charlie has loved toting around his own bag that Papa bought and stocked with orange balls and tees.  Mase doesn't miss many men's nights, and last week I started playing ladies night with some Parkersburg friends.  I'm convinced my growing belly is giving me extra momentum on my swing-- which has helped! I'm crushing my 5 wood --which is usually impossible.  That stupid 7 iron is another story though...

 
This week, we'll finish up swimming lessons and begin to prepare for our vacation.  (YIKES!)  We have another busy week ahead (P'burg library & park, Chuck E. Cheese with friends, Wellsburg Days, & shopping for a 20 hour road-trip snacks!)  Keeping busy is a little exhausting but if I don't try to squeeze every drop of fun & adventure out of this fleeting season, it only makes that dreaded winter even more unbearable.  So for now, I'll gladly load up the calendar and bags and totes and sand buckets and golf bags and anything else needed for endless summer fun...and plan on napping with a little one later.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment