Saturday, July 19, 2014

Do Not Try This at Home; A Bubble Mishap

I'm so proud of myself for releasing my tight grasp of a daily schedule and trading it in for a more relaxed, laid-back, take-it-as-it-comes daily summer routine.  (With the exception of this one tiny rule: Wake up, go potty, get dressed, brush teeth all must happen before eating breakfast.  If these 3 things do not occur before breakfast, then each one of them will turn into a gigantic mother-son battle of wills.  And it's anyone's guess as to who's stamina is going to prevail on any particular day.) That being said, we've had many easy-going summer days and plenty that are filled up with day trips and mini-adventures.

But sometimes, on our easy going days, I feel like I should be doing more.  I should be doing something to foster creativity or better independent thinking or just something.  Mason found a website that had a million fun summer activities to do with your kids and they all looked amazing!  But honestly, playing the ipad is more fun for Charlie and his mama likes it because she can sneak in a nap during a little Minion Rush action.

The other day, however, we decided to experiment with bubbles.  This activity commenced around 11:20 pm.
1. We made giant bubble wands like this
2. And made these super cool bubble snakes.
3. We tested them out on the deck.  The weather was perfect-- cool and a little breezy to make the bubbles fly away just enough.  Everything was good and fun and sunny and lovely.  I was a very good and crafty and montessori-ish mom.




Until I wasn't.

Around 11:35 this:
All of the sudden, I heard a choke/gag/vomit sound.  I dropped the bubble wand, ran to Charlie, who was choking and coughing and turning red in the face-- all while holding his bubble snake bottle.

"What happened!?"  I gasped.
"The bubbles, went inside! I breathed them in!" he managed to sputter as a lone bubble escaped his mouth.
And while I should have been immediately comforting and reassuring, I hate to admit that my first words were, "What were you thinking?  You can't breath in bubbles!" (Luckily, it quickly dawned on me that he's four.  Period.  Be the mom.  Be the grown up.  Help your child.)

My instinct told me to have him drink water, although I had no idea if that would help or hurt the situation.  I pictured his whole esophagus filling up with bubbles and escaping from every possible pore.  He tried to drink the water but was getting so worked up about the discomfort in his throat.  Tears were streaming down his cheeks and his little face was getting splotchy from his accident.  And my heart simultaneously broke and giggled as he struggled to speak, "It hurts, Mommy.  My throat is hurting so bad. These are bad bubbles!"  As he spoke, bubbles escaped from his lips and others were forming inside his nose.  (It reminded me of those old Mickey Mouse cartoons where the sailor is hiccuping bubbles--it was kind of even cuter in real life.)

I scooped him into my (ever shrinking) lap, and told him he'd be fine but he really needed to relax. The worst part was when he looked at me, in all seriousness and said, "Mommy, I think I'm going to die!"  (I know, he tends to be a little on the dramatic side but I really think he was scared this time.) So, I did what I do when I'm in some kind of semi-crisis like this.  I called Mason.

Mase did a quick google search and then asked if I had called Poison Control.  Um, no.  Hadn't even thought of that one.  But cut me some slack here-- I've only been a mom for four years-- How was I supposed to remember there even is such a thing?  Long story short:  I called the 800 number and the lady at Poison Control was very nice and assured me that I had done everything right.  (!!)  She told me to watch for coughing and difficulty breathing in the upcoming hours and she even called back an hour later to check on us.  (She also will be sending free stickers and magnets to our home address.  I think having the stickers and magnets would have definitely helped me remember this resource.)

So here's my take-away lesson:
Before you rush out and try to foster creativity or learning or something pinterest-mom-worthy, ask yourself if it's really worth putting down the ipad for.  In this case, I definitely questioned it at the moment.  But honestly, some good ol' lessons were learned from our 15 minutes of creativity.   Then we went back to the ipad and enjoyed our afternoon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment