Friday, December 5, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014

My goal was to post our Thanksgiving pictures before Christmas so clearly I am blowing my own expectations out of the water.  Now, if Anna wakes up in the next twenty minutes, I will retract that statement.

Our Thanksgiving began on Wednesday afternoon when we loaded up the minivan (really, we loaded that sucker up!) and headed East toward Dubuque.  (Funny how in four years we totally forgot how much stuff traveling with a baby actually requires.)  My gracious sister-in-law offered to host Thanksgiving, ("Sherry, we could head to your place if that works for you!") once again leaving me off the hook to do so.  One of these years I might have to admit that I am an actual grown up and capable of hosting Thanksgiving and all that goes with it... but just not yet.  Sherry will always be a couple years older than me and much much wiser.

Our roadtrip was uneventful and Anna got the memo to sleep the entire time.  (Good Baby)
I annoyed Mason by taking selfies in the car.  Charlie & I were much more amused even though he smiled in the blurry one.





We were greeted in Dubuque by the cousins and their Golden-doodle puppy, Penny.  She's absolutely adorable and we secretly think that when she becomes too much of a pain for them, they'll pass her off to us (yay!).   The cousins played, we ordered pizza, Charlie and Sullivan entertained each other with air-hockey and race cars, and then settled in to watch a movie.  With all the excitement and noise and new faces, Anna decided it would be a good time to try staying awake all night.  She and I ended up touring Dubuque around midnight.  Fun times.

The next morning, Jeff, Sherry, and Sullivan participated in the Turkey Trot.  I was tentitively planning on walking in it as well, but with Anna's little late-night party, I changed my mind.  Instead, Charlie helped me make the fruit salad (a new recipe involving home-made pudding--two thumbs up!)

Yes, I'm breastfeeding.

I love the chaos of Thanksgiving morning.  I love the smells, the sounds, the hustle of figuring out where things are going and what needs to be done.  I love the mis-match of chairs at the table and getting everyone to the table at the same time (somewhat of a feat in itself).  I even love the cleaning up-- how everyone pitches in, still happily  carrying on the conversation that began at the table.  Quickly loading the dishwasher and stacking the plates---all the while saving forks on the table for the pie that's about to be served.  It's one of my favorite days of the year.  

Amelia had magical abilities to make Anna smile over and over. And over.




Grandma Carol made penguins out of black olives, cream cheese, & carrots.  They didn't last long-- sorry guys. 





On Friday, we headed to Huxley to see the other side of the family.  Mostly we watched the Hawks give their lead away to the Huskers (so disappointing), which got the men all worked up.  Anna slept through most of it.





She woke up long enough to take some pictures, although she seriously looks annoyed.  Eloise just looks pissed.



I think this one is my favorite.  Poor Eloise.

As always, we had a great Thanksgiving and have so much to be thankful for.  Don't worry, I'll save my thoughts on that for another post at a later date because sometimes it overwhelms me and I can't get over how blessed and lucky we are.  (Although I'm not above admitting that I'm disappointed we haven't received a windfall that has let us retire early, travel the world, and settle down in a little bungalow on the Gulf Coast.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment