Monday, June 1, 2015

Warriors

war·ri·or
ˈwôrēər/
noun
  1. 1.
    (especially in former times) a brave or experienced soldier or fighter.


If you're familiar with Glennon Doyle Melton, (the now somewhat famous author of the blog, Momastery) you know that she frequently refers to everyone as "warriors"-- as in, we're all fighting hard battles at any given moment in time.  And while we don't always know what our neighbor's battles may be, we need to remind ourselves of this fact and also be forgiving to ourselves (and others) because of this fact.  

I heard Glennon speak a few years ago and was so inspired by her story and the way she talked to a crowd of 1,000 like we were sitting in her living room.  She recently gave a keynote speech in Des Moines and I was lucky enough to attend with my aunt Sandi.  Sandi, (Hi San!) is one of my dad's younger sisters.  I have so many memories of Auntie San-- she was a huge presence in my childhood and continues to be a major part of my life now.  And while I have little kids and a family and a job and we live in separate towns, social media and the beauty of texting keeps us close.  So I was so excited when San agreed to attend Glennon's speech in Des Moines earlier this year.  

The two of us listened as Glennon spoke freely about some of the struggles in her life and how she has dealt (and continues to deal) with them.  She also spent quite a bit of time discussing the importance of loving those around us-- even though it may be hard to do at times.  Glennon frequently reminds us that many little things done with big love can lead to great things.  She also reminds us that many times women tend to competing against each other instead of working with each other.  We seem to have a scarcity mentality-- thinking that if success or achievement or reward or happiness come to someone else, there's not enough to go around.  We hear of someone doing something amazing and we instantly diminish it or put it down-- as if to protect ourselves, when in truth, there is plenty of good fortune and success and happiness to go around!  G's entire message was uplifting and inspiring and of course, intertwined with her own quirky sense of humor. 







And while our warrior-meeting was great, our day wasn't over!  Oh no siree! After listening to Glennon, we headed over to West End Salvage for a little retail-therapy (which wasn't really necessary at all because listening to Glennon was pretty therapeutic in itself).  But we hadn't been there before and we both agreed that we could have stayed for hours just checking out the place. 



And THEN, just when you think our day was over, we went and got inked!  Yes, for real.  

San went first and got this:  Isn't it beautiful!?!?



And then it was MY turn!! 
(A quick little story about me and tattoos:  My first experience in a tattoo parlor was when I was a teenager.  My aunt Trisha had just gotten a wrist tattoo for her 50th birthday and she wanted to introduce me to her tattoo artist. We headed down to State Street and checked out the little parlor where she had gotten her tattoo.  She was super enthusiastic about me getting one and we looked through huge binders of designs for what seemed like hours.  Of course, I didn't end up choosing anything because everything seemed so....final.  And permanent.  Duh.  But, on that day, a little seed was planted and I knew I wanted a tattoo someday, if I could only figure out want I wanted.  So fast forward twenty years to 2013-- the hard year.  I spent a good portion of that year feeling sad.  And angry.  And confused and worried and pretty bad in general.  But the one thing that made me feel better (aside from Charlie's super-duper-squishy-hugs) was meditating.  I felt peaceful for the first time and gradually a sense of calm and acceptance seeped into me.  Later that fall, I began meeting with my church ladies in our purpose group.  During that time, I also realized how important being authentic is-- to myself and those around me.  My tattoo is a henna-inspired version of the OM symbol, which basically means "the sound of the universe".  Everything that exists pulsates, creating a rhythmic vibration that the ancient yogis acknowledged with the sound of OM.  We may not be aware of the sound in our daily lives, but we can hear it all around if we stop and listen. 





Namaste, my friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment